A mobility Assistance Dog enables his recipient to be more mobile whether they are in a wheelchair, or use a walker, cane, or crutches. These dogs allow their handler to be more independent in day-to-day life. Little Angels will not only train mobility assistance dogs for adults, but also for children who demonstrate the ability to remain consistent with training exercises and are able to communicate clearly to the dog.
Our Mobility Dogs can be trained in some or all of the following:
Dogs are trained to retrieve hard to reach items on command, and can learn to retrieve specific items by name.
Dogs are trained to locate the phone by scent and then bring it to their handler.
Dogs are trained to carry items in their mouth when told.
Dogs are trained to alert someone else in the home on command.
Trained to push elevator and door buttons on command.
Can be trained to turn lights on or off.
Is a Little Angels Mobility Assistance Dog Right for Me?
In order to receive an Mobility Assistance Dog from Little Angels, you must:
- Have a disability that hinders your mobility, but have adequate upper body strength and muscle control in your arms.
- Have strong communication skills and the ability to be consistent with a dog regarding training exercises.
- Have a love for dogs.
- Have patience to work through problems (even a trained dog is still a dog).
- Have finances to provide your dog with veterinary care and maintenance for the next 10-12 years.
- Be willing to travel to San Diego, California or Bartlett, New Hampshire for handler training, preferably with a friend or family member for support
If a pet isn't what you are looking for, consider applying for a service dog. Our 'Apply for a Service Dog' page goes into extreme detail about the process and will help you decided what path is right for you!
To submit an application select the link below. A non-refundable fee of $30.00 will be charged to ensure the commitment level of each applicant.